Sunday, | 1:00–5:00 pm
Earn PDHs, immerse yourself in a new topic or engage with those in your field to discuss an area of interest!
Workshops are available at an additional cost of $150/workshop. You may register for workshops during the conference registration process.
All events are subject to change.
Performance Engineered Mixtures (PEM) Workshop | Merchants Hotel Room
The fundamental shift associated with performance-engineered mixtures is the transfer of risk and control from the highway agency to the contractor. Instead of telling contractors what to do, agencies will give them the chance to innovate and meet the performance criteria specified by the agency in the most economical and environmentally sustainable manner. The ultimate vision of the PEM program is for highway agencies to have faster and better-quality assurance tests, optimized mixtures that lead to cost savings, and longer-lasting pavements. Topics for presentation and discussion at the workshop are:
- Performance Engineered Pavements (Asphalt and Concrete), Richard Duval, FHWA
- Performance Engineered Mixtures (PEM) for Concrete, Michael Praul, FHWA
- Concrete PEM Tests, Dr. Peter Taylor, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center
- Concrete PEM Pooled Fund, Cooperative Agreement, and State Implementation, Gordon Smith, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center
- Strengthening Asphalt Quality Assurance, Tim Aschenbrener, FHWA
- Navigating the Performance Test Jungle: Recommendations to Implementing Performance Tests, Dr. David Mensching, FHWA
- MaineDOT Experience with Performance Engineered Mixture Design for Asphalt, Derek Nener-Plante, MaineDOT
This workshop is a cooperative activity of the Federal Highway Administration and the American Concrete Pavement Association.
Airport Pavement Evaluation Software Workshop – PAVEAIR, BAKFAA and ProFAA | Steamboat Hotel Room
Instructor: Jeffrey Gagnon, Federal Aviation Administration
Developed and maintained by the Federal Aviation Administration (U.S.), a suite of free software tools including the PAVEAIR, BAKFAA, and ProFAA computer programs provides publicly-available tools for pavement evaluation and analysis. FAA PAVEAIR 3.2 is a web-based Airport Pavement Management System (APMS) designed to assist organizations in the assessment, management, and maintenance of their airfield pavement networks. BAKFAA 22.214.171.124 performs backcalculation of pavement material properties using Heavy Weight Deflectometer/ Falling Weight Deflectometer (HWD/FWD) data. ProFAA computes pavement elevation profile roughness indices. This FAA software workshop is intended for engineers practicing airport pavement evaluations.
Participants in the workshop will:
- Learn the principles of pavement evaluation using these software programs.
- Participate in hands-on demonstrations of the software.
- Discover how recent and scheduled improvements will enhance the functionality of each program. It is highly recommended that workshop participants bring their own laptops so that they can install the software to follow along through the training and pavement evaluation demonstrations.